Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Minivan Curse


As I went to drop off Leena at her "Achievement Day" yesterday, I pulled into the Church parking lot and noticed something. I was one of TWO people, dressed in Jeans and a t-shirt. Everyone else was in sweats or hoodies, or athletic gear of some sorts. And I was one of THREE cars, out of about 20+, that wasn't a minivan.

I have beef with minivans. Not only am I willing to admit, that a good portion of women, are bad drivers, but women in mini vans, are almost even worse. At least that is from my observation in this state, and in California. Those are probably the 2 states I've driven in the most, next to Oregon.

Props to the soccer moms that love their Odyssey, or love their Sienna.
But, I'm pretty content with my 2002 VW Passat. I find myself annoyed when someone asks "What, you don't have a van with 2 kids?" I'm sorry, but TWO is enough to put in the back, with one more soul to spare.

If I am going to get a vehicle for my small army of souls, it would be either of these; Dodge Journey, Nissan Pathfinder, BMW X5





Here is something to consider if you're expecting quintuplets, or even multiples. These cars can have 3rd row seating. No excuse for a minivan! It can seat as many people as your little Sedona can. And, usually, in most cases, can be more cost efficient. Some of these SUV's with a few miles on them at your local dealership, will cost you about 10K less than a minivan.

So, think twice before you come one of those drivers that have the bumper stickers saying you're proud of your eagle scout, or the "baby on board" sign in the window, it's always good to think twice before you sell your soul!!

2 comments:

  1. I am a very content owner of a minivan - worrying about a car as a prop to my self esteem isn't in the agenda...however, having stown'go seating that makes my van go from hauling 7, to hauling me and a bunch of lumber, or hauling 4 people with their 4 jumbo suitcases - that's my kind of work horse and I am thankful for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Heidi. I really want a station wagon. When we get our third child (like 4 years from now) we want to get a Subaru Outback. It has everything we want. I think it is funny that 2 kids = minivan for most people. There are so many options out there.

    ReplyDelete