Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A very sad realization.

Ever have a phone call, that really hits home, or just knocks some sense into you?

About a week ago, I was printing off photos at home off of my memory card...and the thought occured to me..."Boy, Grandmaleen would sure gush over these ones of the kids....Ah heck, I'll send her some". So, I did.

I guess she tried calling my old phone #, twice to thank me. My mom called me and relayed the message. So, I called today, and my grandma was so cute, she happily said "I have all those sweet babies on display! What angels!" I can ALWAYS count on her to tell me how much she loves me, how sweet they are, how wonderful I am, and how much she loved god, and her family. I couldn't have asked for it any better. As I spoke to my grandma, I kept it short. She's seemed to have lost some of her edge the past year or two. I just listened to what she had to say, and put my input when I needed to. As she was going to hang up, I heard my Grandpa Willard get on the line (these are my moms parents by the way. They live in Northern CA. They're also 87 years old) And seemed overjoyed that I had called. He is still sharp as I can recall, he always has been. He and I talked for a bit about grandma, and the new baby my cousin William had. They have a heck of a legacy, about to have 141 gradnchildren and great grandchildren come next March. That is impressive and I admire my grandma for always trying to keep tabs on me and how I was doing. Anyway, as I talked to my grandpa, I think it really hit me at teh end of the conversation, He pleaded in a sincere and loving way, that I needed to come visit...one last time.

I said "I'll make it down there when I can!", and then I felt my eyes water up pretty quickly. He then closed with "Have a good life Heidi dear, I love you!" and it was like he was signing out, for good. It was the biggest, saddest moment of my day.

I've always loved and admired both sets of my grandparents, they're both all wonderful people and I love them dearly. I've also been fortunate to have all 4 of them, in my life, all 28 years and counting. I have yet to lose a grandparent, and when I do, I know I will be locked in my room sobbing for 2 days when one does go.

As I hung up the phone, and did the dishes, the thought occured to me, "count your many blessings.." So that's what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment