I deactivated my FB account.
Slightly liberating. It shows who really wants to be in touch, and who really don't have the time or care. To put it bluntly.
I haven't touched it in a week, and it's quite nice. I felt obligated to go on there and reply back to messages people had sent.
If anything, it made me realize how often I need to pick up the phone to say hi to people. We all did it before the MySpace days, the FB days, and way before twitter was ever a thought in someones head. It's not hard to write a letter. It's not hard to leave a voicemail, it's not hard to hit send on a voicemail. We live in such a digital and fast paced world, not one TRULY makes dedicated time for each other.
THAT IS SO SAD. WE get texts about people's life events, or even worse, a freakin' newsfeed.
The interesting part is, I made it public on my FB of my decision....and all the whiners, even after I put my # up, NO ONE contacted me outside of it. It showed how many of them were either too busy, or not interested. I'd hope if they weren't truly interested in my friendship, delete me. Gosh, it literally takes a mouse click.
All in all, I don't miss it. I've enjoyed the silence, the no drama. The no need to think "oh crap, I HAVE to write that person back". Nope. I can pick up my phone, call who I want, typically when I want. It's a nice feeling to not be tied to so many stupid political posts, people's complaints, retarded opinionated photos, and negative status updates. It's like I've gone through a media detox.
I highly recommend one.
No comments:
Post a Comment